I feel like you might be sitting there thinking “is a recipe really necessary for scrambled eggs with spinach in it??” and I get you. But as simple as it sounds, the first time Josh made this for me on a lazy weekend morning I remember thinking that I didn’t know I could like eggs so much. Or a guy so much. ha.
The combination of sharp cheese, bright lemon and sautéed greens is just so flavourful. It’s also a pretty complete meal in that it packs a hefty dose of spinach (you can start with a LOT because it wilts down so much) and super nutrient-rich eggs. While cheese isn’t too often considered a “health food”, it’s by no means a source of empty calories… calcium and protein up the yin yang.
Also, I thought I’d take a minute to address the topic of eating the whole egg versus just the white. When a trend really sweeps over, it can be so hard to update your mindset even if the evidence changes. So I totally understand why people have lingering ideas of egg yolk being evil and responsible for cholesterol problems. But at this point, it’s thought that those who don’t have a history of high cholesterol, heart disease or diabetes can eat up to seven whole eggs a week without increasing their risk of cardiovascular disease. Holla!
But why not just stick to the white if it’s got protein minus all the fat and cholesterol, you may ask? Fair question! But the yolk hoards a lot of the egg’s nutrients. By only eating the white you’re missing out on all the fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K) and almost all of the B12, which can be a tricky one for people who don’t eat much animal-based food. The yolk is also one of very few sources of dietary Vitamin D, which can be hard to come by during Canadian winters but super important to help us absorb our calcium.
But back to how much I love these eggs! When I realized that Josh was schooling me in the egg-making department, I grilled him about what he was doing differently. This is what he said:
1. Use lower heat (medium-low)
2. Don’t overcook!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups spinach, packed and roughly chopped
- 2 tsp lemon juice (from about half a large lemon)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten with a pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup of shredded strong cheddar
- salt and pepper, to taste
– In a large fry-pan, heat olive oil over medium heat
– Add spinach and stir often until nice and wilted (see photo above).
– Sprinkle in lemon juice, stir to combine with spinach and cook another minute.
– Take pan off of heat and reduce to medium-low. Wait a minute for the burner to cool slightly.
– Put pan back on heat and pour in the eggs.
– Let sit very briefly and then stir the contents of the pan, distributing spinach into eggs evenly.
– With a rubber spatula, stroke the eggs in long strips every few seconds until they’re almost at your desired doneness (not too much – they’ll still look a bit gooey!)
– Sprinkle cheese overtop and continue stroking.
– As soon as the cheese is incorporated and melted, remove pan from element and serve!
I’m more of a sweet-food-for-breakfast girl but these eggs find their way into my lunch and dinner rotations on the regular. Hope you love them and then make them for someone else and have them love you.